It is our belief that we can all positively enhance our lives and that we already possess the wisdom and ability to do so. Our aim is to help you discover it! We facilitate this process through Counselling and Psychotherapy. You will receive supportive listening and fresh insight. We will assist you to learn new skills that are designed to help you understand and manage your feelings more effectively so that you can make better decisions about your life.
Our Online and Telephone Counselling Service will support you to develop Emotional Intelligence, which is the ability to skilfully manage your feelings to create a more fulfilling life.
Individual Counselling involves communicating with a suitably trained Counsellor, in a safe and confidential atmosphere. Your OCS Counsellor’s role is to support and enable you to explore and express their thoughts, feelings and experiences so that you can develop and make positive changes in your life.
While the overall goal of Counselling therapy is very vague, 'I want to be happier,' your OCS Counsellor can help you to break down your overall goal into smaller, achievable goals. When you start therapy, your Counsellor will be able to help you clarify what is not working in your life. You will then be able to increase your clarity about:
* The scope and impact of your problem
* Your beliefs about the problem
* The kind of changes you want to make
* The kind of life you want to build
* The kind of person you aspire to be in order to build the kind of life you want
* Your blocks to becoming the kind of person you aspire to be
* The skills and knowledge necessary to achieve your goals
Your Responsibility. While having a good Counsellor is important, what you actually do with your Counsellor is just as important. Therapy is not passive. It requires your active participation, motivation and commitment. Clients who work hard at helping themselves are more likely to have successful therapy outcomes.
During Counselling try to:
* Give your Counsellor access to the real you. This means being totally honest and vulnerable.
* Take down the barriers you have built to protect yourself. Only when you remove them can you fully reveal your true thoughts and feelings. As a result, you will receive honest, useful feedback.
* Give your Counsellor feedback. Tell him/her your experience about what you found helpful/unhelpful at the end of the session. Providing this feedback enables your Counsellor to better meet your needs.
* Periodically ask your Counsellor to assess your progress with you (if your treatment is long term).
* You can maximize the benefit you get from your therapy by devoting time to your growth between sessions, as well.
Before every session try to:
* Reflect on your goals for being in therapy
* Think about the next step you want to take to get closer to reaching your goals
To create the life you really want, you will have to prioritise your therapy and your growth. This process is different for each person but it may mean spending some of your free time differently, tolerating temporary emotional discomfort in the name of lasting change, and being open to change
Listen to Your Discomfort. Expect emotional discomfort, as it is always part of the growth process. In therapy, you will take risks, and try novel ways of thinking and behaving. Your growth depends on your ability to tolerate this discomfort. It is crucial to choose a Counsellor that you can trust so that when discomfort strikes, you feel safe enough to let down your walls and examine the cause.
Though it can be a painful time, discomfort is revealing and useful. Often it signals a problem area for you, and exploring it with your Counsellor can be a catalyst for profound change.
Be Open to Change. You are entering Counselling for support and guidance as you make changes in your life. Since how you have been living (thinking, behaving, etc.) is no longer working for you, it is time to take your life off of autopilot and try something new. If you are with a Counsellor you trust, take the risk, you have nothing to lose and so much to gain!